Skip to main content

“Think Like a Child” – Glen Keane, Walt Disney Animator


There is only one person who inspires me with his passion towards the world of animated movies, and that is Glen Keane. This guy was my childhood hero and until this day he still is my inspiration. Glen Keane was Walt Disney’s character designer and animator who created many great characters including Ariel from The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas and Tarzan.

 My passion for art and animated movies grew because I watched his characters in my favorite movies, even before I knew who Glen Keane was. I used to watch all these beautiful princesses and picked up my pencil and started drawing them. Then at around the age of 12, when I started to use internet, I found out about Glen Keane. Since then I am officially a fan.

 In one of his talks, while explaining about creativity he said “you gotta think like a child. Kids play make believe. When kids play as fairies, they don’t pretend to be fairies. They believe they are fairies.” Animators and creative people should hang on to such spirits. It drives creativity when we are not bound to the limitations of the real world. He said, “some of us have forgotten what it was like to think like a child. I really believe that that is the spark that carries someone all the way through their career.”

 At the age of 25 and looking back, in regret I have to say that life has brought me to the point where I often forget to think like a child. I used to be very active and creative. I drew, painted, wrote stories, and created things. Not a day went by without me creating something. As I grew up, somehow it also changed. I went to school and the score of my math exam was more important than drawing, so I stopped drawing for a long time and focus on my study. After graduation, finding a university was more important than writing stories. And I stopped writing stories for a long time. Life continued. Study and work took over my life and I’ve forgotten to think like a child.

 


It is sad to admit that. But every time I browse through the internet and I look at Glen Keane’s works, the fire within me lit up. I am reminded that people like Glen make a living, become successful and make impact in other people’s live by simply thinking like a child. I remember he shared his experience designing the character Ariel and said “I really connected with Ariel. I was a 33-year-old man, and when I was animating Ariel, I was a 16-year-old mermaid.”

 The passion that he has for his artworks is so beautiful and inspiring. He believed in creativity and impacting other people’s live with art. I am proud to say that I am one of those people he has inspired to achieve great things in life with the power of creativity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Did Disney Stop Making 2D Animated Movies? (And Why I’ll Always be the Fan of 2D Animations)

After 70 years of building its empire through hand-drawn 2D animations, Disney has finally fully dived into 3D animation. 2019 marked the end of decade since the release of Princess and the Frogs , which was Disney’s last full-length hand-drawn animated movie. As the technology evolves, so does the market. The late 80s to early-mid-90s is called Disney Renaissance for a reason. It was the period where Disney produced quality and beautifully made 2D animated movies and formed unforgettable memories to the generation at that time, including myself, through some of their masterpiece including The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Aladdin and Pocahontas . However, the success was sustained mostly in the late 90s and early 2000s before 3D animations started taking over the market.   The shift to 3D animations was even earlier than we thought. Even during the Renaissance period of their hand drawn animated movies, Disney collaborated with Pixar Animation Studio and released Toy Story in 1995.